Darkness covers the steading where Bladulf’s has set camp. The hounds I lay next to twitch and whine in their sleep, perhaps dreaming of hare flesh between their teeth; or perhaps of man flesh from the battle a few days hence… Finally, the men outside have quieted themselves with drink and food. I hear no more raucous voices filling the night air, and only the loud snoring of many Saxons breaks the eerie silence of midnight. 

In their arrogance the invaders did not bind my hands or feet, instead posting two men at the door and believing me broken from battle. In my sleepless evening, I heard the two guards take offers of ale and mead for hours on end. Surely, these two had passed into the realm of sleep as well?

I rise, slowly to as avoid noise, and brush the hay and grime of the storeroom floor off of my tunic. Carefully, steadily, I make my way over to the doorway while imitating the step one would take when hunting a hart in a brushy forest. I search for cracks in the door, out of which to see. Hopefully I can catch a glimpse of sleeping, drunken guards…

Gather Information; d6 + 3 Wits = 6; d10’s = 4 & 3; Strong Hit +2 Momentum
Ask the Oracle; Are the guards outside my door drunk enough to sneak past? (Likely); d100 = 32, ‘Yes’

Through the cracks I can plainly see that both of the guards are drunk to the point of incapacitation. One lays on the ground gurgling a soft snore while the other has passed out against the wall of the shack. I open the door very, very slightly to peek out and see no other guards around. Is it safe to assume that the whole camp is heavy with mead and ale? 

I exit my personal jail and am immediately reminded of my relative nakedness. All I was left with after Cattreath was a tunic stained with mud and blood, and stiff with sweat. My mind immediately turns to finding at least a spear and shield with which to defend myself on the long road home. If I’m lucky perhaps I’ll find a chain haubrek, though such rare treasures are surely kept in Bladulf’s hall. 

I quickly move about the camp, as silent as if I were hunting a hart in the wood. Though I don’t know where the weapons horde is, I quickly orient myself and begin my search…

Gather Information: d6 + 3 Wits = 8; d10’s = 8 & 6; Strong Hit! +2 Momentum

To my surprise, this steading is quite small and is only enlarged by the occupying army’s camps to the south. I quickly find the store hut where in which Bladulf has stashed his horde and find that it is unguarded. Slinking inside, I begin to silently rearm myself…

Resupply; d6 + 3 Wits = 7; d10’s = 8 & 9; Miss! 
Pay the Price; d100 = 53; Your actions cause a delay or put you at a disadvantage.

Hurriedly reaching for a spear in the dark, I accidentally kick something metallic and unseen with my foot as I step forward! The object clangs into a row of spears, knock each down in turn! In my haste I have made silence into cacophony and now, I can hear men approaching the horde…